Bioidentical Hormone Replacement Honolulu Hawaii
Bio identical hormone replacement therapy (BHRT) has become very popular to increase quality of life, lessen moods swings and increase one’s energy and the like. BHRT has been replacing many previous hormonal replacement protocols using non-Bioidentical protocols.
What are hormones?
Hormones are messengers in the body that bring information from one organ or system to another. They bring for example information from the pituitary gland to the ovaries, or from the pancreas to fat cells, telling them to increase fat storage. Hormones travel through the blood stream and act on target tissues.
The nervous system is like a telephone wire (nerves) bringing electrical signals. The hormone system is like the pony express carrying messages from place to place in the body using the blood stream.
Hormones are all interlaced and related to one another, where one may easily effect the others. The hormonal milieu is much like a symphony and orchestra pieces, so many interactions that must be coordinated. A common phrase used by health professionals is to “balance the hormones“, when treating those with too much or too little of a hormone. It is not simply give the hormone you are lacking, as this balance may be effected. One must consider the person and the hormonal orchestra as a whole.
What are Bioidentical Hormones?
- Bioidentical hormones are simply hormones that have a chemical structure and biological action identical to those hormones produced by the human body.
- Bioidentical hormones produce physiological responses from the human body since they are identical to the bodies own production, the amount must be adjusted individually.
- Bioidentical hormones are called “natural hormone therapy” by some. Natural means they are derived from natural sources. However, there is still some processing before they can be given despite what some may claim.
- Bioidentical hormones can be custom formulated for the unique condition of each patient. Yet pharmaceutical firms do make FDA approved products which are Bioidentical.
There are claims that the bioidentical hormones for woman decrease some cancer risk, but these are not proven yet. We must wait for further studies which are conclusive even though the results look promising.
Symptoms of Hormone disorder in women
- Night sweats
- Irregular menstration
- Fibrocystic breast disease (FBD): estrogen is suspected to play a role
- Heart palpitations with too little or too much estrogen
- Bone loss
- Hot flashes
- Memory loss
- Mood swings/irritability
- Weight gain or loss
- Lack of sexual pleasure
- Vaginal dryness
Symptoms of hormone disorder in men:
- Weight gain
- Low libido
- Erectile dysfunction
- Loss of muscle mass
- clouded thinking
- Accumulation of Abdominal fat
Benefits of Bioidentical Hormones
The primary benefit of using bio Identical hormones is that it is likely they have a reduced side effect profile compared to non-Bioidentical Hormones. All authorities do not agree. It does appear to be some evidence that Bioidentical Hormones do not cause some of the complications such as blood clots and other serious issues found with non-Bioidentical Hormones.
We at the Infinity Life Center believe the patient should help make the decision about any treatment, including hormone replacement. If you would like more information regarding BHRT or any treatment we offer, it is easy to make an appointment. As always we seek to support and respect our patient’s decisions. Give us a call to learn more about Infinity Life Centers approach to optimizing your health.